Re: [circle] Re: TheCircle search system

From: Jiri Baum
Subject: Re: [circle] Re: TheCircle search system
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:45:45 +1100

Rodrigo Benenson:
> >Many thanks for your description, but I had already studied the Chord
> >and Kadmelia papers. My problem is that the key->hash mapping is
> >almost unique. So if I have a user_name->ip map, and let say that
> >"rodrigob" is online.
> >How do a search for "Rodrigo Benenson" is achieved ?

The circle only searches by whole words. Circle takes the person's real
name, splits it into words, and publishes each word separately (in
lowercase). Thus, in the hashtable, there are three entries, all
pointing to this person's ID:
  rodrigob -> ###
  rodrigo -> ###
  benenson -> ###

When searching, the search terms are likewise split into words, and each
word is looked up in the hashtable separately.

This does not allow fuzzy searching.

(Fuzzy searching could be added by also advertising the soundex or
something similar, so that R362 and B552 would also point to this user,
but that hasn't been implemented at this point.)

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <address@hidden>           http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jirib
  MAT LinuxPLC project --- http://mat.sf.net --- Machine Automation Tools