Please keep Classpath in a working state (Was: cvs commits and java.util

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Please keep Classpath in a working state (Was: cvs commits and java.util.regex)
Date: 08 Mar 2002 21:15:13 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 20:15, Wes Biggs wrote:
> John Leuner wrote:
> >>they didn't appear in Classpath, and gave me a clean compile even though
> >>I was expecting failure (because I referenced java.util.regex, which is
> >>not yet in Classpath).
> >
> > How should we build Classpath without regex?
>
> I think the short answer right now is that Classpath doesn't support
> regex, so those classes would have to come from rt.jar.

Please no. Classpath is now at a point that it can be compiled with
only free tools. Please keep it that way. I think the String changes
should not have been checked in.

For classes that are really standalone and that you want to have in
the CVS repository you can add them to the lib/standard.omit file
so they don't interfere with the build (although I would like to keep
that file as small as possible, ideally it would be empty).

If that is really not a option then you should either work on a branch
or check in stub classes.

Please, please, please, always keep the tree compiling and working with
the VM-interface we currently have. Sometimes you have to break it to
make progress, but in that case please warn everybody by posting your
patch to the mailinglist first before you check in and explain what
people should do to keep on working with their current setup.

Maybe we could define a minimum setup that is "easy" for everybody to
get working? I would propose using jikes (1.15+) and orp (1.0.9+) as the
minimum setup that always needs to work for compiling/running Hello
World with Classpath. That way someone can always fall back to
Is Classpath/Jikes/Orp available on all platforms that the Classpath
hackers currently use? Orp might be a bit x86 specific, but no other
free VM is currently so easy to use with Classpath out of the box.
Does the Classpath build work on a MSWindows/CygWin (sp?) system?

> However, I am working on getting java.util.regex code into Classpath --
> per the discussion last week I would like to check in the
> java.util.regex classes and update the build to use the gnu.regexp JAR
> to compile against.
>
> Email me if you want code right away.

How long before this work will be finished? Would it be possible to
create stubs from your code at the moment? If yes, then please send them
to me and I will do it and check them in so the tree at least builds
again.

Thanks,

Mark