Re: Latest submission package to run commercial applications and work lo

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: Latest submission package to run commercial applications and work loads
Date: 30 Jul 2002 21:49:45 -0400

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

> Do you plan to publish ECPerf results? If I remember correctly the
> ECPerf benchmark specification is freely available but the actual
> implementation has a nasty non-free license that even prevented you from
> publishing results before submitting them to a committee first that
> could veto any publication. It looked highly unfree which makes it not
> something we would like to use. But maybe I am wrong.

ECPerf is the standard by which application servers are measured.  For
their purposes, comparing ORP+Classpath running JBoss vs. other VMs
running JBoss is valid even if in the free software world we shrug off
less than free software.

> Getting JBoss/Tomcat working with Orp is a major achievement! You
> probably had to use some non-free libraries to get it all running
> though. If you have a list of external (non-free) libraries that were
> needed then that could maybe be used by the GNU ClasspathX (extensions)
> project <http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx> to decide what to work
> on first.

I think we can figure this out.

> Brian, I believe the last time the ORP team submitted patches all legal
> issues were cleared so there is nothing preventing us from added the
> code, correct?

Mostly, it's an easy process they setup that requires their lawyer
submit these to the FSF, and that's what we are waiting for.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>