Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: org.omg link on Classpath homepage
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:17:41 -0400

Andrew Haley wrote:
Where is this software?

I haven't found it yet, but see postings from Brian Jones on this list where he indicates it's in OMG's FTP area (which I still can't find linked from their site). I guess that you could argue that since the problematic software is almost impossible to find from the link, it isn't a link to non-free software, but it *claims* to be such a link, and it's certainly a *reference* to non-free software - after reading that part of Classpath's homepage, it's quite possible that someone would independently search for OMG's implementation of these packages under the impression that they were Free.

Where is this link?

http://www.classpath.org/ - search for "OMG". Then look at the heading of the section, which refers to "providers for free core packages". The org.omg packages provided by the OMG are non-free - again, see other postings in this thread, Brian's in particular.

If there is a pointer to unfree software it must, per GNU rules, be removed.

That's what I thought.

Stuart.

--
Stuart Ballard, Senior Web Developer