Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part of VMInterface

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part of VMInterface
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:30:45 +1300

On Oct 26, 2003, at 6:43 AM, Dalibor Topic wrote:

One of the things I keep stumbling over whenever I merge code from Classpath into Kaffe is the different native library names. Would it be possible to separate those out into their own VMInterface class and use references instead?

I'd prefer something like

System.loadLibrary(VMNativeLibraries.IO);

How about having less native libraries? Does it really make sense to have, for example, separate native libs for java.net, java.io, and java.nio? I think these ones at least should be merged into one library, which is loaded unconditionally at startup. After all, virtually all desktop java apps use some kind of I/O.

This way we can get rid of the static initializer System.loadLibrary() calls all over the place, something that could be prone to bugs if someone forgets to include one somewhere. It would simplify the number of files needed to "deploy" classpath, make for less places that VM implementors need to customize, and probably improve performance as System.loadLibrary can be slowish.

The AWT libs, however, should probably remain separate due to the existence of multiple toolkits and such.

Regards

Bryce.