Re: Eclipse 3.0

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: Eclipse 3.0
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:49:26 +0100

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 11:31, Roman Kennke wrote:
> >    at
> > org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.BundleResourceHandler.openConnection
> >  (BundleResourceHandler.java:138)
> >    at java.net.URL.openConnection (URL.java:658)
> >    at java.net.URL.openStream (URL.java:671)
> >    at
> > org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.ManifestLocalization.getResourceBundle
> >  (ManifestLocalization.java:114)
> > [...]
> >
> > This indicates that it is a general bug in our GNU Classpath core
> > libraries. I have been unable to pinpoint it however.
>
> just an observation: NullPointerExceptions are often thrown, because in
> GNU Classpath are lots of method skeletons, which are not yet
> implemented and only return null. Maybe (hopefully) this is such a
> case.? Didn't look at it though.
>
> Maybe we should go and throw out (or even better: implement) any such
> methods. Then we would see such problems earlier -- during compiling.
> Although, this would very likely break alot of things.
>
> just my 2c
>
> /Roman

Yes, I have to concur here -- I don't think we should have
implementations that need completing but are hidden by returning null,
even if it means some things break.  Throwing an Error would be much
clearer, and make it obvious where holes in the implementation exist.
Things like this make it appear that we have support that we don't -- I
think a lot of the newer APIs are hidden in this way.
--
Andrew :-)

Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn.