Re: rhug and ecj

From: Anthony Green
Subject: Re: rhug and ecj
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:55:32 -0800

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:32 -0500, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> I apologize for the slightly off-topic post, but the rhug list seems
> to be dead and I know that some of the people working on it are on the
> Classpath list.

It's just a quiet list.  rhug is (thankfully) outliving its usefulness,
but you should still be able to post to the rhug-rhats list.

> I just did a checkout of ecj from rhug cvs, as best as I could figure
> out to do it from the instructions on the web. I was hoping that I
> might be able to get hold of the recently-released 3.1M4 version of
> ecj which apparently has pretty complete 1.5 support. Unfortunately it
> seems that the version in rhug is quite a lot older than this (the
> ChangeLog is dated July 2003!). I was wondering if anyone knew what
> plans, if any, there are to update ecj to a more recent version -

I don't have any plans to update the ecj sources in rhug.  This is only
because Andrew Overholt was able to update our Eclipse RPM spec file to
spit out native ecj RPM files from the Eclipse SRPM.  I believe that the
plan is to get this into the Fedora Core 4 release.

If you really want to try the latest and greatest compiler from
Eclipse's cvs, you can try this...

$ cvs co -d:pserver:sources.redhat.com:/cvs/rhug co ecj-for-jhbuild

configure and make.  The make will check out the latest eclipse compiler
sources and build them with gcj for use with fitzsim's jpackage friendly
java-gcj-compat, which you can get here...

$ cvs co -d:pserver:sources.redhat.com:/cvs/rhug co java-gcj-compat

AG