Re: rhug and ecj

From: Stuart Ballard
Subject: Re: rhug and ecj
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:52:52 -0500

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:55:32 -0800, Anthony Green <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 16:32 -0500, Stuart Ballard wrote:
> If you really want to try the latest and greatest compiler from
> Eclipse's cvs, you can try this...
>
> $ cvs co -d:pserver:sources.redhat.com:/cvs/rhug co ecj-for-jhbuild
>
> configure and make.  The make will check out the latest eclipse compiler
> sources and build them with gcj for use with fitzsim's jpackage friendly
> java-gcj-compat, which you can get here...

Seems that this no longer works because the Eclipse people added a
dependency from Signature.java to a file called Util.java, which in
turn depends on a bunch of stuff that's *outside*
org.eclipse.jdt.core.

I was able to hack around this by producing a trimmed down version of
Util.java with only the bits needed by Signature. I was working on a
Windows system so I did the steps from Makefile.in of ecj-for-jhbuild
by hand, but if you or anyone else is interested in updating the
ecj-for-jhbuild package you might be interested in the instructions I
put together, which I've attached along with some files that they use.

These instructions are specifically for building with ikvm, but you
can just skip the last few steps and use jar instead of ikvmc...

Stuart.
--
http://sab39.dev.netreach.com/