Re: API clean up patch

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: API clean up patch
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:47:48 -0500

Andrew Haley wrote:
You don't explain why you want this.  As I understand it, VMblah.java
files are provided as templates for code that is target-specific.  Why
is that a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing... however, doesn't it bother you that the API
from a stock Classpath doens't even make sense, even if it's only
supposed to be a "template"? As a template it's a pretty bad example
because it couldn't possibly work. Doesn't really make me proud, for one.

Why do you assume that VMThread.countStackFrames(),
VMThrowable.fillInStackTrace(), and VMThrowable.getStackTrace() will
be native?

I'm not trying to assume anything. I'm only trying to make it at least
theoretically possible for a VM to use Classpath unmodified and still
function properly.

Thanks,
-Archie