Re: [cp-patches] FYI: Bumped up serialVersionUIDs in javax.swing

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: [cp-patches] FYI: Bumped up serialVersionUIDs in javax.swing
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:49:47 +0200

On Saturday 28 May 2005 14:46, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>  I imagine its reasonable to suggest supporting RMI
> (which requires serialization) for e.g. the SpinnerDateModel, but I
> don't see why we need it for the components (perhaps someone wants to
> enlighten me?)

There are people that find the instantiation and startup of Java to take too
long so they serialize the whole instantiated GUI and then write that to a
binairy blob to the jar file.
The client then starts the GUi by deserialising that file and showing it.

I think its butt-ugly and feel it does not need to be supported, but there
are people out there (mostly companies) that do it.  So, now you know :)
--
Thomas Zander