cons-discuss

PATH and redirection with Perl 5.6.1 on NT

From: Zachary Deretsky
Subject: PATH and redirection with Perl 5.6.1 on NT
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:53:10 -0700

We compiled from source and installed Perl 5.6.1 on NT.
We used Perl 5.005_03 before that.

As previously discussed in this group changing $ENV{PATH} did not work on NT
before.

With 5.6.1 it works as I discovered when some executables were not found on
the path that I was specifying for the $cons->ENV hash. They were previously
found (erroneously, given my inadequate $cons->{ENV}{PATH}) because they
were available on the external cmd PATH.

But now there is a caveat: if you use redirection (in a Command method or
just plain perl) such as:

echo first line > myfile.cpp

then you need to have %windir%\System32 (C:\winnt\System32) on your path,
otherwise it does not work.

Z.