cons-discuss

Re: #include's and Quoting

From: Steven Knight
Subject: Re: #include's and Quoting
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:04:42 -0600 (CST)

> > | [snip]

> > I believe the only place where this matters is if you use cons
> > repositories (the -R option).  We use "" and <> freely and do not use
> > repositories, and it's worked like a champ.
> [snip]
>
> I believe the original question was how to work around this if they *do*
> want to use cons repositories.

The issue is that most (many?) C compilers *always* first search the
local directory to a source file for any #include "..." files.  The
repository support in Cons relies on putting the right -I options on
the compilation command lines so that the repository directories are
searched in the correct order.  The always-search-local-first behavior
breaks that searching.

The way to work around this would be if the compiler in question
supports an option to disable the always-search-local-first behavior.
If so, you can set that option in CFLAGS and it should find the right
files regardless of whether you use #include "..." or #include <...>.
Without such an option, I don't know of how you'd support a Cons-like
repository feature in any build tool, because it's the underlying
compiler behavior that's at odds with how repository is designed to
work...

        --SK