criawips-users

[users] Hello

From: Michael A. Peters
Subject: [users] Hello
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 23:09:45 -0700

This doesn't appear to be a very busy list. So I'll introduce myself and
explain my interest in this project.

I've been using Linux since '98, mostly Red Hat based distros though
I've dabbled with both SuSE and the Debian based distros. Red Hat based
is what I prefer though, probably because it is what I learned on. GNOME
is my desktop of choice and has been for some time, nothing against KDE
- again, it's probably just comfort with what I learned on.

I found criawips while googling around for presentation software for
Linux that isn't OpenOffice.org. Nothing personal against OO.o, I just
think it suffers from code bloat - which does effect me when I want to
do stuff on less than bleeding edge hardware. The GNOME office apps
(AbiWord/Gnumeric) and LyX run much better on my slower speed machines,
and even are noticeably faster even on my faster machines.

One place where I *might* be able to help, if this isn't being done
already - I think it would be neat to port latex2html to output a
criawips slide show, which of course could then be cleaned up etc. if
needed. It would give a nice starting point for people who have articles
etc. written in LaTeX that they want to use for a presentation.

I don't know how hard that will be, since criawips uses xml I don't
think it would be that hard. It would be ideal of course to keep the
applicable switches the same. At a minimal I'll learn more about LaTeX
and perl ;)

Anyway, thanks for the neat project.