debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] LDAP info

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] LDAP info
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:37:10 +0200

Philippe Kiener (2002-09-04 15:34:11 +0200) :

> I have one question about the ldap service of sourceforge. I haven't
> used it though I'm really familiar with the code of sf.  As I am new
> to ldap, is there anything I need to do after I installed slapd in
> my server, before I do : "dpkg -i sourceforge-ldap-openldap"?

Supposedly not.

> Will SF allow me to have the user password store on an another
> machine and access through LDAP?

  It will.  At some point, I'll make a sourceforge-ldap-remote
package, allowing you to use a remote LDAP server.

> Can I use an already existing LDAP server and get the pass and user
> name from it?

  Not sure.  The problem is that we want to have the same data in the
SF database and in the LDAP directory.  The (current) solution is to
have one authoritative source for the information, and that is the SF
database (in PostgreSQL).  Changing that system would be rather hard
to do, since it would require mechanisms for synchronisation and
conflicts management (not to mention race conditions and the like).

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

How does an octopus go into battle?