debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] cvsweb and CVE-2000-0670

From: Justin Richer
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] cvsweb and CVE-2000-0670
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:57:34 -0400

I've run into this problem at my organization as well (MITRE), and here's
what I've found out:

The cvsweb script in Debian-SF is based on version 1.112 (which is several
revisions above 1.85, as you can see). The problem lies in how Nessus
determines the version of cvsweb: It uses an HTML comment in the generated
output of the cvsweb pages that contains an expanded $Revision$ CVS tag.
This is a very broken way of reporting the version, because the instant it
is checked into another CVS repository (as happened with Debian-SF) the
apparent version changes, and in our case effectively re-sets to 1.2. A
little research dug up that not only is version 1.2 very old, it was also
(as far as I can gather) in German, making it rather unfit for our purposes
here :). I'm not even sure if it was publicly released, actually. But that's
all a moot point. To answer, yes, the version is secure.

On another note, I've recently done some work to integrate Chora into our
version of SF here, but:
  1) It's based on 2.5
  2) It relies on a bunch of changes to the theme architecture
  3) It also makes use of our security system

I'll gladly submit things back, but since we're supporting a 2.5-based site,
I gathered there wasn't much interest in our code.

 -- Justin