demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Re: Looking for an OCaml library to encode/decode XDR

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: Looking for an OCaml library to encode/decode XDR
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:41:06 +0200

Hello Gerd,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I think I'll try to use your code in
our project.

I've not yet read all your documentation but I've started to look at
your code to see what we would need.

Gerd Stolpmann <address@hidden> writes:

> There is an RPC stub generator, called ocamlrpcgen. The input is a
> classic XDR definition file, the output are up to three files: a module
> for servers, a module for clients, and a module for XDR
> encoding/decoding (the "aux" module). It is possible to only generate
> the "aux" module. For every XDR type there is a corresponding O'Caml
> type, and a conversion function to and from xdr_type.

The ocamlrpcgen approach is very seducing. By using a .xdr file and
generating only the _aux modules, it would allow us to easily add or
change the format of our network messages. Plus it would provide a basis
for message specification and interoperability.

The aux module would then be used for packing/unpacking into O'Caml
values.

>From what I have understood of your explanation, I should do:
 O'Caml value -> xdr_value -> string       for encoding
and the reverse for decoding.

Looking at your sources, it seems I need:

rpc-0.3.3/LICENSE
rpc-0.3.3/src/generator/*  (whole directory)
rpc-0.3.3/src/rpc/xdr.ml
rpc-0.3.3/src/rpc/xdr.mli
rpc-0.3.3/src/rpc/rtypes-3.01up.ml  (we are using ocaml 3.04 and up)
rpc-0.3.3/src/rpc/rtypes.mli

Do you see anything blatantly missing?

I'll add a file ORIGIN pointing to your web site for RPC. Do you want me
to provide any email or mail address?

Yours,
d.
--