demexp-dev

Re: [Demexp-dev] Info on website

From: felix . henry
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Info on website
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:30:36 +0100

> > I suggest that once the forums are active, we switch the exp.dem mailing
> list
> > to "announce" mode to reduce traffic. Only us would be able to contribute
> > (speak about democracy :-). What do you think?
>
> Personnally, I'm quite reluctant to use web forums. I find them very
> unpleasant to use.

So am i. However they have several advantages over mailing lists:
-The content of the discussion can be access even long after it occured
(this is also possible with a mailing list if it is archived and transcoded
in html on the website)
-You do not need to read all the threads, only those you're interested into
-It does not flood your email account (assuming that most mail users do not
use filters afficiently to handle their emails)

Of course I understand that discussion via email is more convenient
and "real time". So I think both forum and mailing lists are to be used.
I agree with your proposal of creating two mailing lists. The problem is
that the free mailing lists are quite unesy to handle. However I suggest
that in a near future we create the announce and discuss mailing list.
Current users would be automatically registered on the announce list,
and they would have to register again on the discuss list. What do you think?

By the way Fred's adsl is down since sunday so that's why he's not talking
a lot at the moment :-) .

  Felix