demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Re: Strange behavior of win32 client of demexp

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: Strange behavior of win32 client of demexp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:48:35 +0100 (CET)

Hello David and list

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, David MENTRE wrote:
1. when a cygwin shell window is opened, the client is unable to start
   (with an error about a dual cygwin.dll issue);

I haven't see this. Maybe some googling will help.

2. when there is no cygwin shell window, the client sometimes start,
   sometimes it does no start (with apparently an error on tmp issue).

Sorry for the quite short bug report. It seems to me that current errors
are more related to PATH issues than packaging errors.

However, as I haven't a Windows machine at hand, it is difficult for me
to test your releases.

I've diagnosed the cause and found the culprit: registry keys read/created by cygwin1.dll.

===
Proof:

Do 'strings cygwin1.dll' in the demexp/bin folder from installed program. You should get:
void mount_info::read_mounts(reg_key&)
mounts v2
mounts v2
%%% Cygwin cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2

Find a computer with an installed version of Cygwin and where you are empowered enough to view and edit the registry. Launch regedit.exe. Now, look in the registry for "mounts v2"; you should find this hierarchy:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2"
(and maybe more but it seems sufficient)
Now look in this "registry key": you should see things like /, /usr/bin and /usr/lib. Those are our culprits.

Just to be sure, launch demexp once. Watch it display a cmd shell window for less than a second and do nothing (process ended). Now, rename "Cygwin" registry key to, say, "_Cygwin". Launch demexp and be flabbergasted that it spawns a window and all. Now refresh (F5) the regedit window, and see that it recreated a hierarchy "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin". You should delete it and rename the previous entry "_Cygwin" to "Cygwin".

I believe demexp client will have no problem on computers where Cygwin isn't installed. Otherwise, launch a cygwin shell and mkdir /tmp and be done with it. This might be handled by the installer, but I don't have the slightest idea on how to do this. Otherwise, it should be signaled to Win32 users. I'll leave it as an excercise to the demexp Win32 maintainer.

--
Christophe GISQUET
Hello! This is a signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature