denemo-devel

[Denemo-devel] Pageturner (was Re: Proof-reading Denemo Scores)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Pageturner (was Re: Proof-reading Denemo Scores)
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 14:14:44 +0100

hi Joe & Andreas - thanks for the feed back.

I think playing from a 7" screen is a young person's thing - I've
noticed that I've been using larger font sizes in recent years...
But I'm not sure what size I would be able to use happily.
As I don't have any Android devices I have in mind using a Raspberry Pi
- I already know it will build for that.
What I didn't cover in my first email (because it is rather off-topic)
is the subject of repeats. I had hoped that my two-half-pages approach
would mean you never had to switch instantly from one place in the
music to another without having both places in view at the same time.
So I allowed the user to mark the start of repeat sections with the
screen scrolled so that the repeat starts at the top of the screen. In
this way when returning to the page the pageturner program knows to
position the repeat at the top of the page. In this case you have to go
on to the next page when you reach the bottom of the page, rather than
the bottom of the screen, but you can still see what is coming at the
top of the next page before you change pages. However, it still leaves
a case where an instantaneous switch is needed: when a repeat end
occurs in the top half of the page; in that case when you go back you
will straight away lose sight of the music you were playing just before
the repeat. Perhaps that's not so important - at least in the sort of
music I play a repeat is generally accompanied by a certain amount of
caesura.
The other methods I thought about are the gradual scrolling (as used in
the Playback View) and the two pages side by side (either switching or
sliding across). (There is also the single line scrolling along, but I
have a feeling that is not going ever to feel comfortable). I have
noticed a distinct reticence on the part of people who market software
for this purpose to describe exactly what their software does. The
Gvido outfit would like you to shell out $1500 without giving you a
chance to read the manual that (hopefully) describes what it will do
for you.

Richard