denemo-devel

Re: Emailing: SantaLuciaWoelkiDec11.denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Emailing: SantaLuciaWoelkiDec11.denemo
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:23:00 +0000

On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 16:27 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> The attached file typesets. But some of the parts lose the second
> time bar marking. See below.
> When I rant lilypond direct I got a log file including:
> Interpreting music...[8][16][24]
> warning: cannot end volta spanner
> [32][40][48][56][64][72][80]
> warning: already have a volta spanner, ending that one prematurely
> [88][96]
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
> which I assume means that I have too many first and second time bar
> markings in the score.
> How many should I have? Just on one part? And which one?

I believe 1st and 2nd and EndVolta markings are "marks" that is, you
can put them in as many or as few of the staffs that you are
typesetting as you like, *provided they are at the same "moment"*

I think you could very usefully use a staff for marks and put them
there. But the bit about *at the same moment* is crucial - if you put
them at different moments - that is musical times (beats) in the score
- they will be typeset at both moments in all staffs. The same is true
of barlines.
In your score, for instance at bar 82 in the Mandola and at bar 83 in
the Guitar you have start first time bar markings - that won't work if
you typeset them together.

> (I obviously had to copy and paste them in after I filled the first
> staff.
>
> And: If I put a double bar on one staff it appears on the barline in
> the editor. If I put it on a second, it appears before the barline in
> the editor. Is that correct?

It appears wherever your cursor is when you insert it. Whether it is
before or after the Denemo Barline is of no consequence(*), they are
both at the same "moment", Denemo Barlines are just a convenience
inside Denemo for breaking the music into chunks to display, the don't
cause any LilyPond output (unless you force it).

So, you could check through to see where you have markings that are not
 in the same moment, or move them all to a Marks Staff... (I've not
tested this last option, but it should be fine).

Richard

(*) but to make the display easy to read put them in the same position
in each staff.