denemo-devel

Re: Playing back in playback view: an anomaly

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Playing back in playback view: an anomaly
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 10:16:29 +0000

On Mon, 2021-03-15 at 09:19 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard I was trying to learn this rhythm and typed it into Denemo
>

> Playing back from the Playback view (to get the repeat) I had to add
> the rest bar. With it the final dotted minim takes its full time
> But       the rest bar is omitted!
> Without the rest bar the repeat happens, but the dotted minim is
> allowed just a crotchet length and then the first bar starts.
> Seems anomalous?

Yes, the playback of repeats is a very rough thing, instead of
computing the entire MIDI stream for the piece in one go and then just
playing it what it does is run a series of commands something like
(d-Play start-time end-time)
for each section (that won't be the exact syntax). So at each join it
will do all sorts of work which will take more or less time (including
re-calculating the whole MIDI stream if you have been editing the music
while you play, I think) causing more or less of a delay before it
starts the repeat. Sometimes this works out similar to what we do
musically, pausing slightly before the repeat but that's chance.

If you just want to listen to a passage a few times over it is quicker
to use the "Loop" button in the Playback controls - select the passage
and then "Loop" and it will repeatedly play that passage. You can edit
it as it plays to hear alternative possibilities...

Richard