Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Kernel for Osmonsdr ?

From: Kyeong Su Shin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Kernel for Osmonsdr ?
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 06:41:49 +0000

To whom it may concern:

You do not need a special kernel to run GNU Radio. Everything resides in the userland of the installation (as far as I know).

GNU Radio Live SDR Environment, suggested by others already, is a good option. Also, can install a recent vintage of Ubuntu on a USB stick (a full, persistent installation, not as a Live CD mode) and install gnuradio-dev, hackrf, and gr-osmosdr packages to it. Finally, There's a Fedora-based alternative from Marcus Müller (https://github.com/marcusmueller/fedora-live-GR/ ).

If you are a Windows user and want to stick with Windows, you can install GNU Radio by downloading it from http://www.gcndevelopment.com/gnuradio/downloads.htm  . You will have to use Zadig to install a driver for your HackRF one (just search 'zadig hackrf' on your favourite search engine).  Linux will give you better experiences in long-term, though (in terms of speed and flexibility in development)

Regards,

Kyeong Su Shin

보낸 사람: Cinaed Simson <address@hidden> 대신 Discuss-gnuradio <discuss-gnuradio-bounces+address@hidden>
보낸 날짜: 2019년 6월 1일 토요일 오전 4:00:56
받는 사람: address@hidden
제목: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Kernel for Osmonsdr ?

On 5/31/19 8:23 AM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> Hi Jerry - The GNU Radio live SDR environment might do what you want:
> < https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/GNU_Radio_Live_SDR_Environment >.
> Worth a look, if nothing else. That's the only one that comes to my
> mind; maybe others here have other ideas? - MLD

I agree. Pentoo can be a difficult OS for people new to Linux to learn.
And at the time the video was made, it was the quickest way to get
GNURadio up and running without having to install Linux. It's been
replaced by GNURadio SDR environment which uses Ubuntu - a far more
friendly and well supported Linux without a steep learning curve.