Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Difference in Spectrum Analysis between Wx and Qt

From: Martijn Scale
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Difference in Spectrum Analysis between Wx and Qt?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 13:57:57 +0000

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your reply, I connected a File Sink and later sourced the file into
both Qt and Wx instruments, with the same result.
I expected this to happen, as for the hardware setup I did not change a thing
between Qt and Wx measurements, it was just a matter of switching between Qt
and Wx in GRC and disabling the non-needed instruments.

So I just added SDRSharp into the equation, which showed an AM signal on top of
the carrier as well, so that indicates that the Qt instruments are right.
Next, fiddled with the Amplitude of the Signal generator, when I reduced the
amplitude with further 30 dB, the AM signal disappeared.

Although the carrier-level did not reduce a whole lot (maybe some 8 dB), I
guess the setup was creating a lot of intermodulation distortion. That's fixed
now.

Still it is interesting that Wx did not pickup that AM modulation... If you
would be interested I can share the IQ-file....

No more reason to stay with Wx though, I'll keep in track with the community 😊

Thanks, case closed, Martijn