[Discuss-gnuradio] Using GNU Radio without running Python

From: Molly Erskine
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using GNU Radio without running Python
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:18:48 +0100

Hello all!

I am working on a project where I wish to generate sound wave samples to then pass these samples out to another program that will generate audio. I would like to be able to use the GRC to specify the shape and frequency of the sound wave, but have the output be accessible from an external C++ program without having to run any Python (working with very limited memory and don't want to have both C++ and Python programs running at the same time, especially if communicating between the two using calls to shared memory).

I have a hier block that I have generated from a flow graph using GRC. How can I execute this as a C++ program?
- Is there a way to generate C++ instead of Python from GRC?
- Would I instead be better using gr_modtool to generate a sample hier block and then coding it manually?
- If that is the case, how would I go from this OOT module in C++ to an executable (ideally C++) program (without going back to the GRC and generating xml or a Python script from new flow graph containing the custom block).

I'm new to working with GNU Radio so apologies if I am missing something obvious!
The closest thing I could find to what I am looking for was this lecture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_OgduYXvs
Which covers a project that allows the generation of executable files straight from GRC to C++ but unfortunately I cannot locate the source code online.

If anything is unclear please let me know!
Thanks in advance,
Molly