Latency out of Stream Mux block with unequal input lengths

From: Gannon, Adam M. (GRC-LCI0)
Subject: Latency out of Stream Mux block with unequal input lengths
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:37:03 +0000

Hi List,

I'm trying to understand the latency behavior of the Stream Mux block when two
streams of unequal lengths are being multiplexed together. Attached is a
minimal flow graph that illustrates the point.

In the example, two streams are multiplexed: one Vector Source of length 50 and
one of length 1 whose value is adjusted while running. It takes several seconds
at 1Msps for the change in the value of the shorter (L=1) stream to be
reflected in the muxed stream. The reverse is not true - a change in the longer
stream (L=50) is immediately reflected in the muxed stream. I believe this is
because both Vector Sources are producing samples at the same rate but are
being muxed at a ratio of 50:1. So when the value of the L=1 stream changes it
has to empty the existing samples from its output buffer before the new samples
start to be muxed.

In my application, I am formatting data from an external source into the header
of my packet. There are several stream multiplexers after that to form the
packet (adding payload, trailer, etc). I'd like to minimize the latency before
new data is reflected in the entire formatted packet. I was considering writing
one block to create the entire packet, but wanted to ask for advice on if there
is a better / more modular solution.

Much appreciated,
Adam