Re: Performance Counters

From: Luke Berndt
Subject: Re: Performance Counters
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:37:06 -0400

It does look like Performance Counters are enabled by default:

On Jun 12, 2023, at 10:36 PM, Luke Berndt <luke@robotastic.com> wrote:

I am trying to enable Performance Counters so I can watch the buffer size of various blocks in a C++ GNU Radio program. Is there anyway to check/verify whether Performance Counters were enabled during compile time? Is it still the case that they are off for apt-get packages for Ubuntu?

I have built a compiled from source GNU Radio Docker container. It is the current Main branch on Ubuntu 22.04. Thrift is installed and being found by cmake. I added '-DENABLE_PERFORMANCE_COUNTERS=True' to the Cmake call and turned everything on in the gnuradio-runtime.conf file. I also hard coded the thrift port to 9090 and port mapped out of the container. When I run gr-ctrlport-monitor I am able to info coming from the program running inside the container, like the edges. However, when I run gr-perf-monitorx I get the following:

ControlPort failed to connect. Check the config of your endpoint.
[ControlPort] on = True
[ControlPort] edges_list = True
[PerfCounters] on = True
[PerfCounters] export = True

Are there some additional steps I need to take to enable Performance Counters?

During compilation, I noticed this message, but I think it is in reference to the clock:

#8 5.302 -- Performing Test HAVE_MACH_ABSOLUTE_TIME
#8 5.337 -- Performing Test HAVE_MACH_ABSOLUTE_TIME - Failed
#8 5.337 -- Performing Test HAVE_QUERY_PERFORMANCE_COUNTER
#8 5.373 -- Performing Test HAVE_QUERY_PERFORMANCE_COUNTER - Failed
#8 5.374 --   High resolution timing supported through clock_gettime.