discuss-gnustep

Re: FreeBSD / libobj2 issue after update - all apps crash

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: FreeBSD / libobj2 issue after update - all apps crash
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 07:48:27 -0700

On 04/06/2019 04:14, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

I just upgraded all binary packages on FreeBSD  using clang and packaged
libobjc2:

11.2-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p10 #0: Mon May 13 21:20:50 UTC 2019

installed libobjc2 is:
libobjc2-2.0_1                 Replacement Objective-C runtime
supporting modern Objective-C features

I removed and reocmpiled all gnustep core, however all programs crash.
Actually, GUI programs appear to crash. I can launch plarse, plmerge...

The error I get is:

Assertion failed: (l->size >= sizeof(struct
objc_protocol_method_description)), function protocol_method_at_index,
file /wrkdirs/usr/ports/lang/libobjc2/work/libobjc2-0db500a/protocol.h,
line 85.
Abort (core dumped)

any idea if the issue is a borken package in FreeBSD with clang or
libobjc2.. or the issue is in GNUstep?

Riccardo

PS: I will run tests and see what happens

Thanks for the report.  Please can you file an issue on GitHub?  This is a
quite surprising error - it implies that either clang has a bug or that
something is trying to manually create or modify protocols without calling
through the runtime.  This might happen if you have a version of GNUstep
compiled against the gcc runtime and using ObjectiveC2.framework instead of the
runtime's public APIs, but that shouldn't be the case with the packaged
versions.

I have seen something odd with the FreeBSD package builder machines though.
When I tried installing gnustep from them, I saw -gui compiled with the 1.8
ABI, but everything else compiled with the 2.0 ABI, which caused everything
other than plmerge to fail to start with a linker error.  I couldn't reproduce
it building locally though.

David