discuss-gnustep

Re: FreeBSD / libobj2 issue after update - all apps crash

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: FreeBSD / libobj2 issue after update - all apps crash
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 19:27:24 +0200

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
It looks as if this protocol comes from NSDistributedNotificationCenter and is created with an @protocol directive.  With the gnustep-1.0 ABI, that is attached to the __ObjC_Protocol_Holder_Ugly_Hack class and upgraded by the runtime.  It looks as if you've compiled with the gcc ABI, so none of that works.

You can't use the GCC ABI with the 2.x runtime, you have to use the gnustep ABI.  That will work in pretty much any version of clang.

Given your explanation, I indeed I compiled with gnu-gnu-gnu, since I just didn't gave any options and that is what gnustep-make always selected, now when I upgraded libobjc2 packages from pkg, it broke. From what you tell me it is not a "bug" that can be fixed, but a hack that no longer works :)

I reconfigured with explicit --with-library-combo=ng-gnu-gnu and it works again.

So, essentially, one either knows that it has to be configured that way or our configure should be "smart" and it should enable ng-gnu-gnu from a certain libobjc release onwards?

Riccardo