[DotGNU]ESR on OS response to .NET (XML-RPC and SOAP)

From: Zimran Ahmed
Subject: [DotGNU]ESR on OS response to .NET (XML-RPC and SOAP)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 01 23:41:15 -0400

I'm sure people on this list saw this posting on the python list by ESR.
He talks about how including XML-RPC and SOAP in Python distrubutions
automatically gives you a lot of .NET functionality.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/015825.html

>[Python-Dev] Leading with XML-RPC
>
>Eric S. Raymond address@hidden
>I just got off the phone with Dave Winer, the designer of the Frontier
>scripting language.  Dave is concerned that the open-source
>community's response to Microsoft's .NET and and Hailstorm proposals
>isn't active enough; he views Miguel de Icaza's MONO proposal as good
>thing but essentially playing catch-up with a Microsoft-defined
>standard.
>
>Dave suggests that the open-source community can turn up the heat on
>Microsoft by visibly supporting and promoting open RPC standards that
>compete with .NET, such as XML-RPC and SOAP 1.1.  He thinks that the
>implementors of scripting languages like Perl and Python are in a
>particularly good position to make this happen, by making XML-RPC
>and/or SOAP 1.1 fully documented parts of their standard libraries.
>
>I agree with both parts of Dave's assessment, and am willing to put my
>own effort into making it happen by doing some of the integration work.
>
>Therefore the concrete proposal: we should make XML-RPC support in the
>Python standard library a goal for 2.2.  I'd like to see votes and/or
>a BDFL pronouncement on this goal.
>
>I've copied Fredrik Lundh and Eric Kidd, the implementors of two
>XML-RPC implementations that might serve.  Dave (who designed XML-RPC)
>likes them both.  I hope they'll report on which, if either, they
>consider production-ready for integration with Python.

This conversation came out of a thread on the FoRK list between Clay
Shirky, Mark Baker, and David Winer
http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2001-July/001845.html

zimran