Re: [DotGNU]Out of list (yeah, right) - Useless edits...

From: Mason Ham
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Out of list (yeah, right) - Useless edits...
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 23:47:29 -0400

I think that Matthew is right on us needing to be organized. I would add
further, that I think that this project needs to take the same tact that
Apache took. Have a solid small group work on the core stuff to get it
right, and then open it up to the "bigger" masses after wards. I am not
trying to be exclusionary, to the contrary, I am trying to make it so that
the most number of people can contribute, but that means that there has to
be a core something for people to work on. That being said, I would also
suggest that the best way to go at this problem is with a modified XP. It
works as follows:
1) Choose a leader of the section. This person should be very strong in
written communications. In general this person tends not to "write" as much
code, but rather make sure that the code that is being written by people is
being communicated to other "leaders". Further, they are the point of
contact for other section leaders.
2) Choose two developer leads. These are the people that will handle the
"says so" on a given topic. The reason there are two, is that if they
disagree on a given item, the Leader breaks the tie since the concept is she
is most informed about the rest of the sections.
3) Allocate a UI person to the project. This person is responsible for
images, diagrams, pretty pictures etc. all the stuff that one needs to get
other people to understand what is being build from a visual perspective.
4) Allocate an Architect. This person will be responsible for UML. I know
this is going to be touchy to some, but I really feel that UML is the best
chance we have at a "unified" view across all languages etc.
5) Allocate a writer. This person is responsible for the documentation of
the section as a whole.
6) Test writer. This is the person that puts into useable words all the
"test cases" so the coders know when they are done.

Allocate three systems that are needed. CVS, list server, FTP.
CVS and List are obvious. FTP is for the various images, and meta files that
are needed to get ideas from one to the other, but that people don't want in
CVS. There really shouldn't be that many of them, but there always are, and
"attachment" blot is bad and had to deal with in the long run.

That is it, the rest are "coders" that build stuff and/or use or ask for
help from the people above.

Then you allocate two people to any given feature. They decide on the coding
test case, based on the feature test case and then they code. This is
different from pair programming in that you aren't doing it together,
instead you make the test case together, and then code seperately different
parts of the whole feature they are working on. Finally, each is supposed to
understand what the others code is doing, before it gets "merged" back into
the main branch. Yes this means that CVS is much harder to maintain, and
that the coders have to become "cvs experts", but it also means that people
have the opportunity to review and extend the knowledge base, it isn't so
much that two heads are better than one, it is more that one head really
would like a vacation some day ;-)

Basically it comes down to a simple principle. Think, Think again, code.
Look at what was made and extend and embrace what others build while you
where building, Think, Think again, code.

Mason

PS One final thought. I am true believer in the Test cases telling you when
a feature is done. So we should take the time before "coding" to always have
a test case for what ever we are working on.

PSS I also am only trying to help. I am not saying this is the way to do it,
I am simply saying that this one way to do it. Further, it would give us
enough "structure" to know the kinds of people we are looking for in each
project. Where do we have weakness ... ie not enough coders, or to few
writers.

PSSS Can we please have people make the address@hidden be in to line
and all others be on the cc line? it will make it easier for people to
"reply to sender" then ;-)