Re: [DotGNU]Out of list (yeah, right) - Useless edits...

From: John
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Out of list (yeah, right) - Useless edits...
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:39:02 -0500

If you had to put your name on that original press release, and knew it
was destined to be printed on the front page of the NYT, would you have
passed it through? Or would you have rewritten the piece?

In my less than humble opinion: the more editor/writers, the merrier.
Quality must emerge from Chaos, ideas must be deciminated beyond the
engineering community if we expect support. We need targeted and
TRUTHFUL propaganda addressed to potential commercial partners, ISPs,
the IETF, and of course users and developers. Good writing is believed
more often than disjointed copy; and we need to generate belief.

Aside; the FSF succeeded bacause software engineers believed. Linux
succeeded because network admins believed. DotGNU can only succeed if
customers and partners believe. I'm simplifying, of course, we need a
product too, but if we can't adequately express the concepts behind that
product; we're sunk. If DotGNU wants to play against the big boys, they
need to steal plays from their playbook.

Microsoft employs professional writers to create their press releases,
and according to Dame Rumour their "grassroot's support" as well. I
doubt Microsoft engineers can even release a white paper without the
approval of the press department and a nod from the copy editors. Free
Developers and DotGNU should do likewise by recruiting volunteer writers
and editors to handle press release re-writes and copy-editing
documentation. Ideally they would perform QA on written work for public
release. What do you think?

John Le'Brecage