Re: [Auth]Re: [DotGNU]A Proposal for a Solution (please read the end at

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Auth]Re: [DotGNU]A Proposal for a Solution (please read the end at least)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:22:20 +0200

> Adam Theo wrote:
> >
> > I have a proposal to make. I have been thinking about this all day, and
> > believe I am ready to advocate such a position.

Let's move this discussion to the developers mailing list, so
that it won't get in the way of the work of the auth list (which
is to quickly create that that quick-and-dirty first incarnation
of DotGNU virtual identities. )

"Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)" <address@hidden> wrote:

> OK, brave man I have many comments, and overall generally support your
> points.
>
> > Before this point I believed DotGNU's best idea was to take the fully
> > client-side, P2P route for authentication, since it seemed to 'fit' with
> > the GNU philosophy the best. But after some thought and reading the
> > recent threads on this list, I have come to believe otherwise.
>
> I never agreed with those that think this can all be done peer to peer.
> Sometimes it is best for companies to implment a trusted auth server in
> their environment

Yes.  That's why the long-term implementation of "DotGNU virtual
identities" will be done on the DotGNU platform, the
http://dotgnu.org/arch.htm for some details.

The key point is that then the auth system, just like any other
application that runs on this platform, can run in P2P mode, and
it can run with a single trusted auth server, and it can run with
a network of auth servers where the auth database is replicated
on each auth server, and the copies of the database are
automatically kept in sync.

I feel that this concept is very powerful, and it will give us
an important edge over Mircrosoft because Microsoft cannot
easily duplicate it without hurting their own business strategy.

> > The Jabber protocol heavily uses XML, which as we all know is a truely
> > awesome technology (ok, sorry, I'm a little biased. I love XML... :-).
>
> /me cheers

Yes, XML has a lot of mindshare.  It will be wise for DotGNU to use
protocols that are built on XML.

> > Now, if all of you are still skeptical about how Jabber can be used, I
> > propose that this list choose one or two people from among us to learn
> > about Jabber. Give them a week or so, and have the report back to the
> > list on what they think. This way all of us can see how Jabber looks
> > from a FSF and DotGNU perspective, without all of us having to learn
> > about it.
>
> I agree with this plan. I would jump in and start studying jabber in
> more depth if you guys want.

Sounds good to me.  However before you do this, please have a
good chat (perhaps on #dotgnu) with Myrddian <address@hidden>
and Barry Fitzgerald <address@hidden>.

Myrddian and Barry are working on some ideas and specs that you
should be aware of when you look at the Jabber for checking
whether the protocol would be useful for DotGNU.

> 1) It exists, and is a working distributed solution
> 2) Its been gaining acceptance over time
> 3) It has several companies backing it as well as many in the free
> software community
> 4) Its got plenty of 'coolness' factor, which cant be overlook even tho
> it may sound silly to outsiders, 'coolness' is a key ingrediant to a
> successful free software project

I agree that these are good reasons for looking into Jabber.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)
Your own domain with all your Mailman lists: $15/month http://cisto.com