Re: [DotGNU]RE: Java issues.

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RE: Java issues.
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:36:50 -0700

"Aisha Fenton (DSL AK)" wrote:

> I understand that the JVM has some limitations, but I still think that using
> a Java base for DotGNU is a safer way to go. These are my reasons:
>
> -Java has huge industry support. Open source projects like Tomcat and JBoss
> are to a large section of the enterprise community (people like my boss) the
> proof that the open source model is a wonderful thing.
>
> -Sun will help and promote DotGNU. It would fit in with IBMs vision of Java,
> Linux and Web Services as well.

These are great reasons for putting a team together to make this happen.
I think Brad wants to focus on the fact that the Mono team is going to
build C#/CLI tools no matter what we say, so we will have them to use.
Also using them will allow us to be compatible.

> -Supporting the CLI parts of DotNet will help make DotNet a truly viable
> cross platform language (which has only up to now been hype). I would rather
> not help Microsoft if possible :-)

As I have mentioned, I dont think that its wise for us to not use a
technology because it came from Microsoft. I think Samba would have
never been done if they would have followed your advice, and I think
Samba has been great for the free software world, and yet it has
potentially giving some credibility to the weak SMB protocol.

I also think WINE is helping to woo developers to GNU/Linux and it is
also using a Microsoft technology, the WinAPI.

> -Microsoft isn't going to help us. How can we compete with the inventers of
> the platform, esp. an aggressive company like MS? DotGNU will be second
> best, if our goal is to match MS's DotNet?

When have we ever needed Microsofts help before?
Have we not been able to compete with other Unix vendors, who are the
ones that defined what Unix is? Did we not compete with CDE, when it was
supported and designed by all those in power?
We can and will beat Microsoft, and we can by being compatible, and then
offering functionality above and beyond theirs.

> -Why give up a head start?

I dont really see that we have a head start per se.
Microsoft already has ASP.NET, has beta versions of VB and VC++ that
will compile into CLI, they have already added XML interfaces to both
SQL Server and Exchange Server, they have Passport already up and
running and being used by a fairly wide audience. The way Is ee it we
are already playing catch up, and we shouldnt fool ourselves into
thinking otherwise. Lets looks at the facts so that we fight this war
with wisdom and our eyes wide open

Seek3r