Re: [DotGNU]Paying attention

From: tali streit
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Paying attention
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:19:21 +1000

Norbert Bollow wrote:

Tali Streit <address@hidden> wrote:

at the moment most ms people i know seem to have a "lets wait and see if this .NET thing is anything more then another hairbrain temporary obsession" attitude.

lets use that to our advantage!

How can we do that?

I am unclear about what we gain by saying that we will be compatible with .NET now. Are we going to gain more support by doing this? (this is a genuine question)

IMO, to take advantage of the present hesitation, we make press releases and a lot of noise about DotGNU and either not mention .NET at all or state that DotGNU is different to .NET. Then, later, we can announce that we are developing a .NET compatibility layer when we actually have something to show for it.

this is a PR tactic, not a technical one.

If you were thinking of using DotGNU and heard along the grape vine that it supports .NET and you have the MS C# compiler, why wouldn't you start on .NET and then switch to DotGNU if it ever gets off the ground?

conversely if you were thinking about where to take your development and there seems to be this DotGNU thing that is not related to .NET and there is this .NET thing, you might do some research.