Re: [DotGNU]Paying attention

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Paying attention
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:06:10 -0700

Ron Burk wrote:

> >If you dont think developers are going to adopt MS.NET then you have not
> >been paying attention the the last 5-10 years.
>
> >Microsoft has had its share of failed concepts... but when they bet the
> >farm on something, they tend to get adoption.
>
> I've heard that opinion before, but it's not one I share.
> For example, Microsoft absolutely "bet the farm" on OLE
> (I had a pretty good view of the money they shovelled at it),
> but in fact it was pretty much a complete failure. The entire
> vision of document embedding ultimately amounted to
> little more than a mandatory check-off item for product
> boxes. I expect that outsiders viewed that as "adoption",
> but the programmers doing the actual work made it clear
> that it was a joke -- virtually no customers made any use
> of this technology. Not something I would want to invest
> much time being compatible with, despite the logical
> argument one could make for the importance of
> being compatible with Microsoft.

This is not a simple technology that they are pushing. They are pushing
a whole concept... and not one they are the first at. Its basicly what
Sun and Oracle have been trying to push for a few years now... I dont
think that .NET will be anything like the failure of OLE

> I certainly can understand your opinion, and there's a case
> to be made for it, but I believe it's quite possibly incorrect and
> my opinion is probably based upon experience that is
> at least no less relevant.

I do think my opinion is correct ;-)
but you have a point and I was probably overstating MS's ability to make
things successful. I do think their .NET platform/concept is going to
succeed... and thats what scares me and has me here working with all you
guys

Seek3r