Re: [DotGNU]gcc?

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]gcc?
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 16:20:05 -0400

> > Fair enough, but one thought that occurs to me is - if we have a VM
> > which handles IL in any form, this will be true, anyone could produce
> > a proprietary language which generated IL, and the .GNU VM would
> > happily run it.

This is less of a problem than proprietary software compilers.  It's akin
to running a proprietary software program on a GNU system: not a good
thing for the world, but something we have always permitted.

Having a proprietary software language that compiled down to an input
format of GCC is a real threat.  It basically allows proprietary software
compiler writers to bootstrap proprietary software development on Free
Software work.  This is a bigger threat.

David Sugar <address@hidden> wrote:

>  I am going to suggest that Bradley field this question, and in fact, I
> propose that we come up with a gcc FAQ for DotGNU that covers this and
> other issues so that everyone has a reference point to understand this
> and other related gcc issues.  This FAQ probably could include some
> discussion on the treecc toolchain as well.

I think such an FAQ is a good idea.  Could someone draft it?  (I can edit
it once it's drafted).

   -- bkuhn