[DotGNU]Mailing-list set-up

From: Norbert Bollow
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:20:46 +0200

Marco Manfredini <address@hidden> wrote:

> [Btw. I hit "reply" to Rhys' message, which put rhys Email into the
> recipient field & I didn't realize that and send him the message
> exclusively. Now I've set the reply-to for this msg, but couldn't this
> be made by the mailing-list software? I find this distracting, because
> all other lists I'm on set the reply-to field]

I know that a large number of lists do reply-to munging.
However, that violates RFC1123, and it violates the principle of
minimal munging, and it makes it virtually impossible to have
discussions across multiple mailing lists (now one doesn't often
want to do that, but imagine we want to discuss with the Perl 6
folks how their VW can be integrated with DotGNU... the only
reasonable way to have such a discussion IMHO is to have it
across two mailing lists, one of ours and one of theirs.)

For a more detailed discussion please refer to

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee.
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet  (near Zurich, Switzerland)