Re: [DotGNU]EJB & dotGNU

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]EJB & dotGNU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:13:13 +0200

Nicolas Fogg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Open Source/GPL Java components for dotGNU. However I have not
> seen anyone mention EJBs.

The main reason is probably that we haven't had any in-depth
discussions of Java-related stuff at all, besides the discussion
that has led to the basic decision that we want to support Java
bytecode.

>     Is there a place for EJBs in the dotGNU backend? Why/Why not?

I think that the main questions to ask are:

a) Is this something that will help us with implementing the
   concept of an operating system for distributed computing in a
   manner that is not specific to any pecularities of Java bytecode?

b) How difficult would it be to get a GPL'd Free Software
   implementation of this?

> Would it ever be legal to call a method in a GNU component from a method
> in a closed source application

I still can't quite get it into my head that Microsoft might
actually succeed in making this illegal in the sense that the
police would be willing to chase you for doing it.  In any case,
I'd recommend to stop using proprietary software altogether.

That's probably the best way to avoid the possibility of legal
problems of this kind in the future, and it's also a good idea
for a multitude of other reasons.

Nota bene, the GNU GPL gives you rights for redistribution of
code in original or modified form, under certain conditions.  It
does not take anything away from your freedom to call every
method in any GNU component in any way you choose.

>     If the answer is no, does this mean that commercial closed
>     source applications have no place in the dotGNU world?

As far as GNU and DotGNU are concerned, those who wish to use
the GNU system and/or the DotGNU platform for purposes of running
proprietary software can do so.

It's one of the principles of Free Software to give the user the
freedom to use the software for any purpose.  (Of course there
must still be laws that forbid really bad evil actions, whether
or not computers are used for those evil actions.  But because
we have parliaments that make such laws, it is neither necessary
nor appropriate for software licenses to impose that type of
restrictions.)

We will of course continue trying to convince the authors and
copyright holders of all proprietary software that their users
and customers really deserve to have all the freedoms that can
be granted to them through licensing software under GNU GPL.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com