Re: [DotGNU]Internet C++

From: Soeren Sandmann
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Internet C++
Date: 13 Aug 2001 23:01:23 +0200

Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> writes:

> However, it doesn't solve another problem that RTL has.
> RTL assumes that any word in memory can hold any kind
> of value.  Integers, pointers, floats, etc, are all the same
> in the RTL world.  IL uses memory locations that are
> strongly typed.  Solving this will be damn hard I fear.

Yes, it will be very hard, but what if the frontend was strongly
typed, like Java or C#?  Then "by luck" there shouldn't be any type
problems in the generated code.

The problem of generating IL from C is at least as hard as creating a
precise garbage collector for C, and *that* is very hard.  The fact is
that IL is not at all multilingual - it is a bytecode format for
languages that are more or less subsets of C#.