Re: e: [DotGNU]Copyright waivers for developers?

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: e: [DotGNU]Copyright waivers for developers?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:34:33 -0700

Bill Lance wrote:

> Would annonymous contributions passed through an
> unencumbered third party keep it clean?

Only if that third party has the right to assign copyright
and that right can be tracked.  If it's just an anonymous
contribution, we can't accept it because it makes it more
difficult to defend the license on the product.

I have to check up on this, but I believe that you don't
need to assign copyright.  However, if you choose not to
assign copyright, in this case, it will leave you open to
law suits for your work.  The same goes for your employer if
they claim copyright.  Holding the copyright, in this case
== who wants to defend the system...

And if you do choose to keep the copyright, then be prepared
to be called to court if need be.  We're being stricter with
copyright on this project because of the legal issues
involved with defending the scope of the project.  MS has
already indicated that they're willing to flex their patents
against Free Software .NET/hailstorm initiatives.

        -Barry