Re: [DotGNU]Who is working on the IL VM?

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Who is working on the IL VM?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:17:53 -0700

Martin Coxall wrote:

> > > Who is working on the IL virtual machine?  I know that DotGNU
> > > will try to use a Java VM and the IL VM both.  I'm interested in
> > > the IL one.
> >
> > The best person to contact concerning this is Rhys Weatherley
> > <address@hidden>
>
> How much progress has portable.net made on this front? I am concerned about
> effort duplication between Mono's VM (which for historical reasons, I should
> stress is my pet project <g>) and portable.net.

I'm not...

The two projects have some different goals.  Both seek to
create a C# compiler and environment, but mono is
bootstrapping using Microsoft's C# compiler and P.net is
being built using gcc.  No contest, if you ask me.  However,
if you'd like to know.  The compiler has the most work done
to it.  The library has the most that has to be done thus
far.  Perhaps there might be a point for collaberation there
(I haven't looked at the p.net library development, yet).
However, we're not going to stop and wait for Ximian to
accept our previous collaberation proposals.  Portable.NET
is a fine addition to the DotGNU project, and it makes a
fine GNU package.  And Rhys makes a fine addition to our
Steering Committee.

        -Barry