Re: [DotGNU]Who is working on the IL VM?

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Who is working on the IL VM?
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:45:15 +0200

I had written (addressing Martin Coxall):

Martin Coxall <address@hidden> replied:

Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> replied:

> The runtime I discussed in my previous message would
> be capable of running both IL and JVM at the same time.

Therefore, what Rhys is working on is something that will
*exactly* meet the needs of the DotGNU vision, while it seems
that the runtime of the Mono project would not meet these needs
without a major redesign.

I would like to encourage everyone here to consider contributing
to DotGNU Portable.net -- when you have made up your mind that
you would like to write code for this, the best way to get
started with this is probably to email Rhys Weatherley
<address@hidden> privately, with a brief summary of your
skills, experience and interests, asking him for a suggestion
for how you can contribute.

Martin Coxall <address@hidden> also wrote:

> > I guess what I am saying is that I don't think Mr P.Net
> > should have severed relations with Mono so thoroughly and so
> > quickly. God knows, Miguel can be difficult at times, but he
> > can usually be convinced...

(In case someone is wondering who this "Miguel" is... it's
the chief designer of the Mono project, Miguel de Icaza.
Mono is a project of a profit-oriented company (Ximian) and
Miguel de Icaza is the CTO of Ximian.)

Would you be able to convince Miguel that it would be good to
have an open and honest conversation with the DotGNU folks, a
dialogue that would seek to compare the goals of the two
projects and find out in what areas (if any) it would be
mutually beneficial to cooperate?

So far this kind of dialogue has not happened, and this lack of
communication is the only real problem that I can see as far as
Mono is concerned  --  and that is only a very small problem
when I compare it to the huge threat presented by Microsoft's
Hailstorm.

I feel that continuing this debate about potential cooperation
between DotGNU and Mono will make sense only if Miguel is
interested in participating in the discussion.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com