Re: [DotGNU]glibc 2.2.4 notes

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]glibc 2.2.4 notes
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:26:43 +0100

> This addresses perceived problems with fsf and Richard
> Stallman.
>
> How does this group view these matters?

Having met and tried to conduct an interview with RMS for Linux Format (UK)
magazine, a number of things become clear. One, that he is a person devoid of
any social skills whatsoever. Second, that there can be (for him) no
compromise on his principles. So, he will do whatever it takes to ensure his
principles get applied, regardless of how his actions raise the ire of others
who surround him.

Thus the business with the GCC people viewing him as a manic and a control
freak. These assessments are not really fair, although given his
uncompromisingly caustic nature, it is obvious where these conclusions arise.

The other problem with RMS (and the FSF) is that they are haunted by a
mindset from a bygone age of computing, of long-dead paradigms, of Common
Lisp, of ludditic opposition to GUIs and component models. RMS doesn't have a
GUI on any PCs. Even his laptop. Why should he understand the need for
GNOME/KDE? Bonobo/Kparts/XPCom? Or even dotGNU/Mono?

My conclusions? There is a place for an RMS. Just make sure that you have a
Bruce Perens on standby for when things get out of hand.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"