[DotGNU]FWD: 4th/5th session summary

From: Gopal.V
Subject: [DotGNU]FWD: 4th/5th session summary
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 14:34:00 +0530

S110011 wrote, me forwarded:

Hello again, I missed session 4, but was there for session 5.

Brandon Bremen (absurd or absurdhero) has provided us with logs, as well as
writing a nice Java(TM) program to get rid of the crap that the BX irc client
put in it. This time, we have logs for the whole thing :-)

Anyway, we kick off with Mark Peters (skeeter) and ^CareBear discussing the UI
of PhpGroupWare. Norbert Bollow (nb) points out that webservices are not
necessarily free of charge. Some stuff about pnetlib non-standard classes...
then there's talk about the development environment under DG. Hype surrounding
Mono (announced self-hosting compiler Jan3, actual: Mar7). nymia announces port
of treecc to Win32. David Sugar (dyfet) and Bill Lance (bill_lance) chat about
connections between SEE, DEE, VRS, and auth.

^CareBear announces "if anyone have any Microsoft .NET questions, or something
similar you can ask me :)" and leaves his email address with the crew. Then
talk about the virtues of Unix DE vs. IDE. psiXaos pleads with them to provide
list of decisions made during this meeting :)

Rhys makes comment of the evening on Mono..."I'm not sure it really solves the
main problem - we use mono's code and they don't use ours.  It isn't enough for
them to throw their code out and say 'feel free to contribute'.  We are
throwing code out as well - why aren't they using it?" in reference to Pablo
Molaro's offer of the Mono C# compiler (mcs) to help with pnetlib development.

fitzix offers a decision for psiXaos to munch on..."HINT: EVERYONE HERE --
START THE PROCESS OF CONTRIBUTING TO PNETLIB! :)" fraggle bemoans Mono's
probable desire to focus on the hardware environments of its newly contributing
companies. Talk of starting to contribute to pnetlib (HINT: see HACKING file!)

Rhys introduces Southern Storm Software, aka "Rhys, Inc". And then, as things
are bound to do on #dotgnu, a bunch of chat about music appears, mixed with
garbage collection architecture. nb changes nick to nb_very_tired.

There is some complaint about Linus comments about idealists, and chat about
pnet releases. We start with Java, and eventually say that everyone should
program with either a soldering iron or assembly. Long lull...

Nice chat about what the SEE is, with Barry Fitzgerald (fitzix) interrogating
(HINT: compare to inetd). Some complaint about not sharing memory from me, and
finally, Rhys forgets to check dependencies, so pnet compilation and hacking
the build dominate the remainder of the session.

I will not be covering the next sessions, because it is 0213 a.m. here (2h13
after session 5).

--
By golly, I'm beginning to think Linux really *is* the best thing since
sliced bread.

Gopal.V : I've put up the log at http://www.dotgnu.org/dmeet4-5.log.gz

--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success