[DotGNU]pnetlib compiles as metadata

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]pnetlib compiles as metadata
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:26:23 +1000

I've now got "cscc" to the stage of compiling pnetlib using
a "metadata-only" compile (with a few minor exceptions).
All pnetlib developers will need to update their version
of "pnet" to build.

The "runtime" directory compiles cleanly as metadata, and
produces a real "mscorlib.dll" file.  The "System" directory
has a lot of bugs, some of which may be in "cscc" and some
of which may be in the "System" code itself.

However, this "mscorlib.dll" file cannot be used with the
runtime engine to run applications yet.  Metadata includes
the class, field, and method definitions, but not the method
bodies.  Bad things will happen if you try to use the engine
with this file.

Also, this "mscorlib.dll" is not quite ready for use with the
status pages.  It doesn't include attributes or events, which
I am working on now.  Hopefully they should be done by the
end of this week, or early next.

I urge the "System" programmers to look over the errors
generated by the compiler, to determine if they are bugs in
their own code, or bugs in the compiler.  Let me know about
anything that you suspect is in the latter category.

This is a major milestone for the compiler, with some more
milestones to follow in the next few weeks.