Re: [DotGNU]Binary releases for Portable.NET

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Binary releases for Portable.NET
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:37:52 +1000

"Gopal.V" wrote:

> Hi Rhys and E'body else,
>         I've recieved this mail from a guy who has a Win 98 SE machine
> without .NET. He wants to run Pnet on his box -- but the requirements
> for compiling pnet seem too high for him (cygwin,gcc,bash,....).

Pnet isn't much use without cygwin to provide the basic
"life support environment".  Eventually I plan to make the
break from cygwin-depedency on Windows.  But it is way
too early to do this.  It's more than just building the binaries.
There are lots of other Unix-isms in the code that will need
to be turned into Windows-isms to run outside cygwin.

>         I would have also liked a OS X and PPC binary release as these guys
> need to get libffi from GCC cvs ...... etc

As soon as I can figure out how to extract libffi from gcc,
I'll be putting it into pnet.

> PS: http://dotgnu.org/debs needs up2dating , and RPM Find shows a few
>     Pnet RPMs.

I would like people to submit their deb and rpm building
scripts to me so I can include them in the CVS tree, and
then build official i386 deb/rpm files each release.  We
should automate this process as much as possible.

Someone else will have to do the other platforms, but if
we have the deb/rpm scripts in the repository, then it will
make it easier for people to do this.