Re: [DotGNU]I want to contribute

From: Ravi Mishra
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]I want to contribute
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:42:53 -0800

Hi,

Here is my understanding of J2EE. J2EE is an n tier application model
for enterprise applications. As compared to traditional 2 tier
client-server application model, it provides ease of installation,
maintenance and scalability.  It supports multiple transports such as
http, xml-rpc, rmi. and services such as JDBC, JNDI, JMS, JavaMail,
JavaIDL. Services mostly run in servlet container using EJBs and JSPs.

Web services using SOAP/WSDL/UDDI is a separate beast.  MS/IBM approach
is to define web services using WSDL and then allow remote object
invocation over commonly used wire transport such as http thus avoiding
firewall issues through SOAP. Sun's WSDP uses JAXP, ebXML/UDDI registry
concept for web services.

Apache's Axis is an open source project for web services using SOAP in
J2EE environment.  Approach is very similar to that of MS i.e. define
services using WSDL. Cut client/server java skeleton stubs using tool
kit. Load server side stubs inside a servlet container supporting http
transport.

JBoss app server community is trying to implement jboss.net based on
Axis.

MS Passport is probably another 'single sign on'  service just like the
one ASP's were trying to implement.  It provides API for authentication,
authorization and provisioning.

I am wondering how dotgnu is going to fit in the picture.

Please pardon me if my understanding seems nebulous.  Any
thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
Ravi
------