Re: [DotGNU]Re: J2EE Support in VRS

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: J2EE Support in VRS
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:09:36 +0100

On Friday 05 April 2002 14:38, you wrote:
> Bill Lance wrote:
> > I'm more likely to be showing my ingnorance.  What I'm
> > saying is that we hope to have J2EE support in the VRS
> > Services Manager, whatever that may intail.
>
> One possible solution is letting 'Virtual Machine based Component
> Server' in VRS support both CLI/Pnet and JVM.

The intention is to use whatever VM is produced for dotGNU (obviously), so
if that supports C#, Java, Perl6, Python generated IL then so will the VRS.
Also, because the base framework of the VRS is over a modular middleware,
then plugging in additional *VM's is not a problem, so long as the interface
to each VM is consistent.

> Or build J2EE connector for Pnet virtual machine. Something like mod_jk
> connector for Apache/Tomcat. This connector can effectively route all
> traffic to servlet container thus enabling J2EE services.

This kind of routing is inherrent in the VRS design, so once a request is
received from internet-land (via SOAP/XML-RPC or whatever) and the payload
extracted, the payload is routed to the appropriate handler.  These handlers
will probably be VM's.

When services are registered with the VRS, some notion of what type of
service they are should be held against the registration so we can route to
the appropriate handler.

Cheers
--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Limited.