Re: [DotGNU]Concept: Forum

From: Silvernerd
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Concept: Forum
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:35:06 +0200

Hi folks,

<snip>
"Gopal.V" wrote:

> If memory serves me right, Silvernerd wrote:
> > A more detailed example of a forum is this:
> > People go into a learning forum to listen to somebody explaining stuff,
> > the 'teacher' would be able to use
> > a virtual whiteboard and an editor that immediately shows changes he/she
> > makes to the 'pupils'. This could allow people to inform others about
> > complex stuff (like compilers) in a very efficient way.
>
> Doesn't Jabber already have a whiteboard app ?. (I heard someone say so).
>
> > The forum system would use Jabber for inter-human communication and XML
> > for other communication (like chess move transmission).
>
> AFAIK , Jabber can do both . I think Adam Theo can explain better , so
> leaving it for him. (I would like a jabber chess app to play against
> humans for a change ;).
>
> > What do you think of this?
>
> Good idea , seems to be almost completely covered in Jabber (except the
> FTP part). Even if it isn't I think it is easily possible from what I
> understood abt Jabber.
>
> Gopal.V
</snip>

Oops, I believe I wasn't quite clear in my message, Forum isn't a try to
invent things that Jabber already has, Forum is an attempt to integrate
various technologies into a human friendly package.

The thing is that Jabber, though it is very extensible, is only one kind
of internet service. Jabber does not need to have for example a
webbrowser integrated, since it's main focus is communication between
humans.

Forum (as I now call it) is another kind of app. It does not invent
technologies, but integrates them in a user-friendly package. Forum will
let app specially designed for a task (like Jabber) handle the
individual tasks. So Forum does not compete with Jabber, it just uses
it's power.

I've been busy defining and extending the forum concept and found out
that a forum should have a user interface (2D now and hopefully 3D in
the
future) and should support a variety of service types. I mean that a
forum can (for example) have files for download, webpages to view and a
chatbox. Also forums are highly and easily adaptable for the forum owner
and forums can have a certain subject. You could have a DotGNU forum
with all the downloadable files, webpages and a chat option.

Looking at the reactions I believe that this concept could become a good
project so here is the
official proposal.

--- PROPOSAL ---

* Subject Line: [Project-proposal]<Original>DotGNU Forum System

* This Proposal is For a New:

        [x] DotGNU software development project

                Project name: DotGNU Forum System

                Packages in this project: Core, Forum Plans, Plugins

        [ ] Other
                List here:

* Essential Resources:

        [ ] Mailing lists
                Mailing list names:

                Mailing list descriptions:

        [ ] Website resources
        [ ] Savannah location and space
                Savannah username:

                Savannah Project Name:

        [ ] Other
                List here:

* Are you willing to lead this project?:

        [ ] Yes
        [x] No

DotGNU Free Forum System or simply Forum is a system for inter-human
communication over the net.
It works with forums, virtual places, where people come to, meet each
other and work on a task. Forum is the integration of various existing
technologies such as IRC, IM, FTP, HTTP, BBS, USENET and others. Forums
are extensible so that a forum can have a voice-over-IP chatbox instead
of a text chatbox. Forums could be used for education, discussion,
chatting or anything else.
Forum will use Jabber as it's primary communication system with other
technologies to fit the space that Jabber can't fill.

* Proposal Version (integer): 1

* Proposal Version date stamp: 9 April 2002

* Proposal Maintainer name: Peter Minten

* Proposal Maintainer e-mail: address@hidden

* Revisions: 0

--- END PROPOSAL ---

--
Silvernerd (Peter Minten)

"Using Linux is like walking over a ray of bricks, not as beautiful, but
a lot more substantial than light."