Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) Microsoft dumps hailstorm ?

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) Microsoft dumps hailstorm ?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:39:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Matthew C. Tedder wrote:

> How can Passport die?  It virtually forces everyone who buys one of
> the newer Microsoft products to sign up.  If no one else uses it then
> it will still be there and Microsoft's products alone would have a
> single sign-on.  With this, they will outcompete opponants and
> thus force others to adopt it also.  The perceived implications of press
> releases mean nothing in the face of brazen facts to the contrary.

Perhaps, that's why I'm going for independant confirmation.  However,
it's always been my impression that they'd have the market clout to make
the whole thing sort of fly on it's own as a package.  I think that they
assumed that as well.  Perhaps that's not quite the case.

It's one thing to make everyone sign up for something - it's another to
make everyone else use it to do authentication.  Is there a tendancy?
Sure - I thought that they would have improved passport and tried to bring
more on.  Appearently, if this article is to be believed, that did not
exactly happen.

        -Barry